Pre-Recorded! JRR Tolkien--Introduction to Middle Earth Seminar (18 Lectures!)
This pre-recorded, 21 lecture, class--taught by Anthony Bedoy--can be taken at your leisure and is available to start watching immediately after purchasing!
Instructor: Mr. Anthony Bedoy
Ages: 15 and UP!
- Students will engage with the mind and faith of JRR Tolkien by way of Middle Earth and the epic tale of Lord of the Rings.
- As the course follows the steps of Tolkien’s perilous tale, key themes of the Catholic faith, the good life, and eternal truths will be drawn to enhance our reading of the text. One can hope to attain not simply an appreciation for and knowledge of Tolkien’s tale, but also adopt the method and logic of Tolkien’s stalwart faith.
- No prior knowledge of Lord of the Rings or JRR Tolkien will be necessary - the course will introduce students to the content. However, because this course is a seminar course, reading before class and participation in the weekly seminar will be significant.
- The course will encourage student participation during the weekly class time with questions, comments, thoughts, and dialogue with the instructor and other students. Recordings will still be provided for those who cannot attend the seminar.
- Office hours will be provided.
- Brief reading quizzes to check for understanding and unit reflection paper
topics will be provided.
[All students will read the same text, multiple options are available - it will not have a significant outcome on the course whichever choice you make]. Please chose one option for your textbooks:
Option A (three separate bindings, cheaper)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (ISBN: 0345339703)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (ISBN: 0345339711)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (ISBN: 0345339738)
OPTION B (single binding, more expensive, instructor will use)
top of page